Can my meter read be verified?

Yes. You can have the meter re-read to check for reading errors, meter malfunctions, or possible water leaks. Please call Utility Billing Customer Service at 909-364-2660 to request a re-read.

Show All Answers

1. How can I pay my utility bill?
2. How do I establish water/sewer utility services?
3. Can I request my water bill for a specific date or cycle?
4. How can I better understand my utility bill?
5. When is my utility bill due?
6. Can my account be transferred if I move within the City of Chino Hills?
7. Can my meter read be verified?
8. How do I close my account for water/sewer utility services?
9. How do I obtain a construction meter?