Go To Search
Household Hazardous Waste
What is Household Hazardous Waste?

Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) is any material discarded from homes which may threaten human health or the environment when disposed of improperly. For a list of items that are considered Household Hazardous Waste and that CANNOT be disposed of in your trash, recycle, or green waste bins, please see the table at the bottom of this page.

What is Universal Waste?

Universal waste items, such as batteries, light bulbs, and lighting ballasts can contain chemicals and materials that cannot be thrown in with your regular trash. Universal waste should be handled through specialized waste solutions to help ensure harmful chemicals do not end up in landfills.

San Bernardino County residents may take their Household Hazardous Waste and Universal Waste to any San Bernardino County Household Hazardous Waste Collection Center.

The nearest Household Hazardous Waste Collection Center is the City of Chino Public Works Service Center, located at 5050 Schaefer Avenue in Chino, CA.  The City of Chino Public Works Service Center accepts Household Hazardous Waste, Universal Waste, and Electronic Waste (e-waste) on the 2nd and 4th Saturdays of each month from 8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.  The Service Center can be reached directly at (909) 334-3472. 

Please visit the San Bernardino County Fire website for a complete list of San Bernardino County Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facilities.

Examples of Household Hazardous Waste Items
  • Aerosol Cans (Empty)
  • Antifreeze
  • Car Batteries
  • Cleaners
  • Cooking Oil
  • Fertilizers
  • Fuel
  • Herbicides
  • Hobby Supplies
  • Microwave Ovens
  • Motor Oil
  • Oil Filters
  • Paints/Solvents/Varnish
  • Pesticides
  • Polishes
  • Pool & Spa Chemicals
  • Propane
  • Waxes
  • Wood Preservatives

Examples of Universal Waste Items
  • Batteries
  • Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) materials
  • Flourescent Bulbs & Lamps            
  • Kids Light-Up Shoes
  • Mercury Thermostats
  • Mercury Thermometers
  • Musical Greeting Cards
  • Non-empty Aerosol Cans
For more information on Household Hazardous Waste or Universal Waste, please call (909) 364-2633.  Additional resources can be found by visiting the San Bernardino County Stormwater website or EARTH’s 911 website.