Residential Solar Roof-Mounted Permit Process
A photovoltaic permit is required for all Single Family (roof-mounted) solar installations. Outlined below are details on the plan check and permit process.
PLAN CHECK PROCESS
Prior to permit issuance, applicants are required to demonstrate that the project is in compliance with local and state regulations. This is process is called Plan Check.
The plan check process may be completed by the following options:
Staff is available at the public counter to review the project. Appointments are strongly encouraged and can be made here Version Options SolarApp+ Permit Process Headline.
To expedite the plan review and permit process, please obtain approval from the Chino Valley Fire District prior to in-person plan check appointments.
Plan Review Steps:
- Obtain approval from the Chino Valley
- Download and complete the Residential Roof-Mounted Photovoltaic (PV) Application and Checklist
- Schedule an appointment at the public counter.
- Attend appointment and provide the following documents:
- Completed Residential Residential Roof-Mounted Photovoltaic (PV) Application and Checklist
- Two (2) copies of the Chino Valley Fire District approved plans
- Two (2) sets of structural calculations (if, needed)
SolarApp+ is a third-party platform created by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) in collaboration with the California Energy Commission, key code officials, local agencies, and the solar industry to develop automated standardized plan review and permitting software.
Please note that the use of the SolarApp+ platform is completely voluntary.
Plan Review Steps:
- Verify your project is eligible for automated plan review via the Installer webpage on the SolarApp+ platform. Specific information is found at the bottom of the webpage.
- Create a SolarApp+ account.
- Fill out the project questionnaire and pay the administrative fee. This fee is not a City fee and is paid during the review process.
- Apply separately with the Chino Valley Fire District to obtain Fire approval for the project.
- Once the project has been approved by SolarApp+ and the Chino Valley Fire District, the following items will be required for permit issuance:
- A completed Residential Roof-Mounted Photovoltaic (PV) Application and Checklist;
- A copy of the project specific SolarApp+ approval packet; and
- A copy of the Fire District approved project plans.
Photovoltaic permits are records that demonstrate that projects are constructed per approved plans. Compliance with local ordinances and state regulations will be verified through inspections during the installation process. Permits can be obtained by the following options:
Once the In-Person plan check process is complete and the plans are approved, the project is eligible for permit issuance. Permit fees will be collected and permits are issued during the plan check appointment. Permit fees are listed in the adopted Chino Hills Master Schedule of Fees, Fines & Penalties.
Permits can be obtained by the following methods:
- At the public counter by appointment. One copy of the required items must be provided at time of the appointment; or
- Submit the required items via email. Once the required items are received, City staff will process the application within two working days and contact the applicant to schedule an appointment to pay for and pick up the permit.
If a revision is needed to the approved project plans, the following will be required:
- Approval from Chino Valley Fire District;
- Approval from SolarApp+ (if plans were approved through the SolarApp+ process); and
- Approval from the Building and Safety Division.
Please schedule an appointment to obtain approval for the revision.