In the event of a fire is detected within any part of a facility, the following is recommended:
The person(s) discovering the fire should:
- CALL EMERGENCY 9-1-1 AND REPORT THE FIRE.
- Activate the fire alarm.
- Shut doors and windows to confine the fire.
- Attempt to suppress the fire, if feasible.
- Evacuate the area of the fire if necessary
- .Always keep low! Smoke and gases collect near the ceiling first.
Have a Fire Extinguisher
It is important to have a fire extinguisher in your home or commercial space as fires can occur anywhere at any time. Remember to inspect your fire extinguisher regularly and keep it in a location all who frequent the building are familiar with.
Fire Extinguisher Instructions:
- P = PULL safety pin from handle.
- A = AIM (nozzle, cone, horn) at base of the fire.
- S = SQUEEZE the trigger handle.
- S = SWEEP from side-to-side, (watch for re-flash).
For larger fires, GET OUT, close doors, confine the fire as much as possible.
If your clothing catches fire... STOP...DROP...ROLL
If Trapped in a Room:
- Place cloth material around/under the door to prevent smoke from entering.
- Retreat - close as many doors as possible between you and the fire.
- Be prepared to signal from the window - but, DO NOT break glass unless absolutely necessary (outside smoke may be drawn in).
If Caught in Smoke:
- Drop to hands and knees and crawl; hold breath as much as possible; breathe shallowly through the nose and use blouse, shirt, jacket as a filter.
If Forced to Advance Through Flames:
- Hold your breath; move quickly; cover head/hair; keep head down and eyes closed as much as possible.