Be Prepared for a Power Outage
A power outage is when the electrical power goes out unexpectedly. An outage can cause a disruption to your daily life, so it is important to plan ahead and be prepared BEFORE an outage happens.
To report a power outage, visit www.sce.com or call 800-611-1911.
Handy SCE QuickLinks
A Power Outage Will Cause a Disruption
A power outage may also disrupt communications, water, and transportation. It may cause the closure of retail businesses, restaurants, grocery stores, gas stations, ATM's, banks, and other services. Facing an outage without planning ahead could leave you unprepared to face an extended outage. You wouldn't want an outage to prevent your use of some medical devices, and even the possibility of having your food spoil.
It is imperative that you do all you can to be prepared in the event of an unexpected power outage.
Preparing Ahead of Time
When power outages occur, it's always good to be prepared. Whether it's a maintenance outage or a blackout from an unexpected storm, here are some tips to help you prepare for outages and lessen the impact until the lights come back on.
Some Simple Tips and A Few Supplies to Have On Hand
Preparing for an outage is easier than you think. Stocking up on a few supplies and planning ahead can help you stay safe and comfortable.
- Keep important phone numbers (fire department, paramedics, police, hospital, doctor, relatives, etc.) by the phone
- Place flashlights in handy locations, such as near the phone or by your night stand
- Keep a stock of batteries for your flashlights, a portable radio, and any other devices you need
- Install surge protectors to help safeguard electronic equipment
- Familiarize yourself with your home's utility boxes (electricity, water, and gas) and how to turn them off; keep the proper tools to do so handy
- Frequently back up important work and files on your computer
- Learn how to manually open your automatic garage doors or gates
- Keep the gas tank in at least one car half full at all times
- If you have a portable gas generator, identify an outdoor location where you can safely use it during a power outage - never use it indoors
- Make a safety preparedness plan for your family, including a list and location of the above items and a plan for how pets will be cared for
- Be prepared to meet the special needs of any infant, elderly, or disabled people in your household
- Be prepared to purchase ice for your family and place perishable items in a cooler as necessary